Wednesday 31 March 2010

A very special commission...






I have just finished a very special job - I had been commissioned to design and make some new Vistors Books for Kelmscott Manor - the summer home of William Morris.
I was basing the pages inside the books on the existing Visitors books, and after a personal tour of the beautiful building I was inspired to use some Morris fabric to create the covers for the new books.
Amongst the library at Kelmscott were three fabric covered books that literally jumped out of the shelves at me and provided the idea for the new design....

This project was also my first book that I needed to get the pages printed up as well - which was an education in itself. I was so lucky to stumble upon a fantastic printers in Gloucester, who use renewable energy, vegetable based inks and provide a great service - I got very lucky indeed! We worked hard to select the best paper, and the covering fabric was carefully chosen - that was a lot of fun, working through all the beautiful Morris designs.

So today I am dropping off the books - as Kelmscott Manor opens for the season at the weekend - and the visitors will have the chance to start off the new books... and I have the time for a quick sit down. Hurrah!

No comments:

Post a Comment